Saturday, May 18, 2013

Silver Linings

Today is my first official day being homesick and I have to say, I lasted two weeks more than I thought I would! Now, put those judging looks away and don't pretend like you don't understand what I'm talking about, you LaGrange people. You know you spend your life dying to get out of that Varsity Blues town and then you somehow manage to miss it when you're away. At any rate, I'm attributing this homesickness to the weather that has been incessant rain for the past two weeks. I came prepared to experience more rainy days than usual but holy December in May, where is the sun? Clearly I'm not in Georgia anymore. Yes, there have been definite desirably sunny days, but they have been few and far between and most of the time it rains off and on at seemingly set intervals throughout the day. However, the greenery and flowers that run rampant after the rain has subsided make this cold Spring weather worth enduring.
[*Side note: there is a perfect life lesson in all of that rambling and it is not wasted on me. Actually, go ahead and reread until it sinks in- your life will thank you later on down the road for embracing that lesson early. The rain is always worth enduring.]
To conclude, I have been informed that this constant dreary weather is not typical for this time of year here and hopefully this, like my homesickness, too shall pass. Soon.

In other (more comical) news, I had my first German driving lesson today. Mmhmm.. I'm coming for you, Autobahn. Since arriving here, I have learned that the Germans are without a doubt more fearless drivers than Americans, hence my confusion at the nonexistent speed limits that are not posted at your convenience. Huh? Me too. I feel like most everything in Germany makes my head spin these days (large emphasis on the metric system here- as if I didn't hate numbers enough already). Anyway, I digress, back to the driving lesson. Any of you who know me well also know that I ask one thousand too many questions at any given chance, so after asking for the fifth time: "You mean there really isn't a speed limit?", I got this response: "Yes. If you decide you want to go 100, you go 100, if you decide you want to go 120, you go 120, and then if you are in a big hurry maybe you just decide you want to drive as fast as the car will go." It took me a hot second to make a mental note of this new information and then I just nodded my head as if to reply, "good talk, I'm in." Talk about governmental trust. For all that, I will say this, if I were to ever hypothetically get hit by a car, I would want it to be a fabulous German one.

Finally, I am proud to admit that my limited list of accomplishments has seemingly doubled this week. Driving, check. Conquering the tram system, check. Making my first friend, check. Mistaking "off day" as "shopping day", check..... Just kidding, that one can't happen again. Things are looking up. Lots of love to the States. xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment