Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Anything Could Happen

As disappointing as it is to announce, for all of you still following my blog because my mom wrote it in the sky before I left (loveyouMom), my adventure abroad has been cut several months short. My plan was to stay in Germany through the end of the year while traveling Europe and working as an au pair between escapades; However, we all know that few ventures ever go according to "the plan". But that's what makes this curve ball they call "life" so gripping (cue forced optimism at having to leave dreamland here), agreed?

Long story short, after scuffling and parting ways with my German host family, I ran into some unexpected visa issues which quickly sent me packing and prematurely boarding a 767 back home to the good old US of A, cutting my European party far too short. And though I can't help but feel wildly dismayed and (understatedly) defeated at having to stifle the flame of one of my countless dreams, my heart is so full. Full of amazement and happiness and love and thanks. In just a few short months, I was able to see some of the most beautiful places the world has to offer, inhabited by some of the most beautiful people. I was able to embrace the way other cultures indulge in life and immerse myself in the undeniable grace of people that is present no matter where you drop your anchor. And despite the outcome, wasn't that my whole purpose in moving across the ocean (reference "traveling helps you encounter compassion" spill in my first post here)?

After all, sometimes things just simply do not turn out as fruitful as you had imagined. And, oftentimes, even the people and events that once promised to be so dazzling and fascinating can burn you and let you down, but, most certainly, the scars left behind by lessons learned are worth the unexpected heat. Lessons about trusting recklessly and what you stand for and how to appreciate people that don't so willingly appreciate you. These are the things that grow your humanity and these are the things that make your life divinely rich. 

So, my trip may not have gone according to "the plan", but I am a firm believer in fate when paired with hard work and the Golden Rule and will happily play the hand I am dealt knowing that something greater is on the horizon (i.e. a job, please God). So, again, to my future frustrated self who will inevitably reread these posts for cheesy nostalgic purposes: don't stop taking risks and don't ever stop churning out the bucket list because anything could happen. xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment