Monday, June 10, 2013

Postcards From Italy

This past weekend, I traded in domestic boot camp to visit the country that has held the number one spot on my destination bucket list for as long as I can remember: Italia. Thanks to Elizabeth Gilbert and my Intro to Italian course at UGA, I have had a mental image of how vibrant Italy might be and, as expected, Rome did not disappoint. The infectious affinities of the Italian culture for all things food, wine, history, and, well, love make this country everything. And then some. The people are beautiful, the authenticity is beautiful, and the language alone is enough to steal your heart. No words could ever do the magnitude of the Eternal City justice, but I will say, Rome is in a league of its own. Its history is as vast and intricate as the monuments and fountains that occupy each countless piazza and its stunning beauty washes over you in a thick wave of astonishment as you step off the plane and stays with you long after you have polished off your last bottles of vino rosso.

The flight to Rome proved to be pretty remarkable in itself while passing over the Netherlands and the Alps before reaching our final destination adjacent to the bluest water. I am quickly learning that seeing cities from the plane window is one of my very favorite things- and to think that I hated flying with a passion not too long ago. When I wasn't glued to the scenery below, I spent the flight listening to the Swedish couple sitting beside me tell me all about their most recent excursions on the West coast. Listening to Europeans talk about their vacations in America is another one of my favorite things, especially those that possess a passion for traveling like this particular couple. I don't even know what their names were, but I feel certain that I will never forget them. It's the people you meet on the journey to the destination.

Once I landed in Roma, I met up with some friends from home (I was so lucky to be able to spend my time there with them and was beyond thankful to see some familiar faces) and we hit the ground running. We spent the large majority of our time sightseeing and the rest of the time was spent indulging in the other more delicious aspects of the culture: pizza, wine, and gelato. I saw the phrase "Italy is Eataly" while we were there and, seriously, truer words have never been written. Oh well, when in Rome, right? I bet that phrase never gets old. Our first day was dedicated to visiting the unparalleled sight that is Vatican City. I could go on for days about the incredibly detailed artwork that blankets every ceiling and wall and the Sistine Chapel, but those are just things you have to see with your own eyes to believe they are even remotely real. That phenomenal. Other notable, and predictable, stops were the Spanish Steps, the Colosseum, the Arch of Constantine, the Pantheon, and last but certainly not least, the Trevi Fountain. Tourist points. I would love to say that it's the gorgeously sculpted detail or the hopelessly-in-love-Italians that gather around it at all hours of the day that make me such a fan of the Trevi Fountain, but those are given traits for every square inch of the city and don't do much to differentiate locations. Maybe it's watching everyone make wishes as they throw their coins in the fountain, or maybe it's the pictures they take of themselves in the process. Nonetheless, all of these instances have the Trevi Fountain on my list of Roman favorites.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to soak up all Rome has to offer in just a few short days, but, fortunately, this is more than enough reason to visit again. The captivating beauty of the city and its antiquity paired with its vivacious people give Rome an energy unlike any other. Just like everything else I love, Roma was hard to leave. This may have been my first trip to Italy but I know it won't be my last. Ciao, xx.

View of the Alps from the plane. Unreal.

 I love everything about this picture.

 View of the city from the Spanish Steps

 The Coliseum, of course.

Just one of the millions of pictures I took of the artwork in the Vatican. There are no words. 

View looking up in the Pantheon. The opening in the dome is its only source of light. It just so happened to be sunny and raining while we were there, seeing the rain fall inside against the beam of sunlight was really awesome.

The beloved Trevi Fountain. The legend is that depending on how many coins you toss in, you are promised a prompt return to Rome or to fall in love. How many did I throw in? Probably not enough.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome travels. You'll have to create some sort of scrap book with all the digial photos, etc. that you took. Some would likely make good paintings if you have the initiative to paint! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb! It was an amazing trip. Definitely scrapbook worthy.

    ReplyDelete