Friday, July 5, 2013

One Big Holiday

As days have become more and more routine in au pair world, incessant blogging just doesn't seem as necessary. Trust me, you can only hear so much about the fabulous day-to-day life of being a live-in nanny before you think it's a joke that I spent the past 4.5 (I'm hanging on to that .5) years in college prepping to spend my current days ironing and dusting. The days have become increasingly standard and as a result, I find myself shocked by how quickly the time is passing. The life of an au pair becomes less glamorous with each day I spend weeding the garden, but the novelty of living abroad is still as shimmering and lustrous as it was the day I arrived. That's how I know every frustration, no matter how trivial, is worth this experience. Fortunately, I have the month of July off while my host family is kicking off their summer vacation around France, and what a reminder it is not to complain about my time here.

My first stop during my solo month in Europe is Switzerland. I arrived here two days ago and I already feel more rejuvenated. I'm staying with my brother-in-law's sister, someone I consider family, so it really is a true taste-of-home experience. And for the love... thank goodness. Europe is wonderful, but it is so relaxing to be able to speak candidly with someone who shares the same culture. I'm learning a lot while adjusting to the German lifestyle, but it can be somewhat exhausting because of the stark contrast to American (more specifically, Southern American) customs. All this to say, being greeted in Lachen by a big hug from a familiar face and a warm Southern accent was the perfect fix for my cultural barrier induced disorientation. It has been a few days of catching up, comparing cultural differences, and, most importantly, speaking English with someone without the fear of miscommunication. The perfect start to my vacation from my staycation.

Lachen is located just outside of Zurich and reminds me a lot of where I'm living in Dusseldorf in that it is a very quaint and quiet little town. The locals would say it's small, but I find it very endearing. Switzerland is absolutely breath-taking. We are anticipating sunnier days, but even in the overcast haze, the scenery is stunning. It's water and mountains as far as the eye can see with accents of old farm houses and beautiful churches along the way. It's amazing to me how different and varied the landscape in Europe is, yet it is consistently extraordinarily gorgeous no matter where you find yourself. The magnificence of the panorama of Switzerland cannot be captured or justified by a picture, but expect to see many more of my attempts before I have to say good-bye to this majestic place.

Additionally, my excitement for being able to spend Independence Day with a fellow American should not go unmentioned. Though there were no fireworks, hot dogs, or over-served Americans clothed in pride, it was nice to pay respects to the greatest country around with someone who sympathizes with the honor and privilege of calling the States "home".  Plus, our July 4th celebration was somewhat stifled due to ringing in the holiday a little too hard the night before- but the red wine was festive, right? I mean, it's only the most important birthday celebration of the year (next to yours of course, Nanc).

I hope all of you had a patriotic Fourth of July celebration with lots of good American traditions and even better company. Happy late 4th to you and yours from across the pond and endless thanks to all of those American heroes who serve and defend our great country! Freedom is precious. xx.

Our view at lunch the first day. I love these colors. 

Casual awkward solo shot #1, included for your entertainment. And to show off my most treasured purchase so far in Europe: American flag scarf. Happy 4th, Switzerland! 

Overcast and pretty. 

This sunset.

 View from lunch with Sydney on the second day, is any view a bad view?

Awkward solo shot #2. Lachen is across the water in the distance.

Last picture from lunch, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment